Friday, October 7, 2011

Mellow Yellow - entry by Jess

So about two weeks ago, maybe a little more now, we presented three very different pieces to one very brilliant audience at the Boston Playwrights' Theatre. We called it the Queer Soup Quick Pick, and during the evening, we asked our audiences to score each play immediately after it was presented. It was a funky experiment, and at the end of the evening, the votes were tabulated, and the results were far from anticipated: a dead heat for all three at a common score of 23.

Some interesting notes I got on my piece "Yellow" from the audience that night:

"Very confusing, but I oddly want to know what happens."

"This is gonna give me nightmares, but in a good way. More! MORE!"

"Weird but very intriguing. Whatever is happening here I want to know more."

Ok, so fine, I'll give you more. Fine, you asked for it.

Tonight, Kim, Mal and I finally met to re-group and de-brief and give ourselves permission to do more. And that's exactly what we're going to do. Rather than write one play, we're going to write three. And the next challenge: I've got to finish Act 1 by October 28th.

Of this year.

So back to the Yellow Drawing Board. Let's see where Tabitha takes me. Probably somewhere exotic like... Saskatchewan.

No comments: